CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM RESOURCES - Campaign Finance Reform was the subject of our March 2023 meeting. We had outstanding presenters who provided information on a variety of topics. A brief summary and relevant links are below.
- Rob Means from Santa Clara Move to Amend spoke about the impacts of Citizens United and creating a movement to amend the Constitution to establish that corporations are not entitled to constitutional rights. https://www.movetoamend.org/
california Sign the petition here - https://www.movetoamend.org/motion View his presentation here.
- Dr. Brian Adams, PhD spoke about his research on local government, elections and civic engagement and how campaign financing can undermine the democratic process. Read about his research here.
- Amy Tobia, from RepresentSD spoke about public financing of elections as a way of democratizing the electoral process. Learn more here
- Rick Bates, Policy Director UNITE HERE Local 30, spoke about unions and their impacts on the region.
- Links to relevant legislation:
- AB1819 https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB1819
- Fair Political Practices Commission https://www.fppc.ca.gov/
- American Anti Corruption Act